Friday, January 4, 2008

Latest Micro-Reviews - Edition 9

I know we saw a few more than this over the Christmas break, but here are the ones I'm sure we saw, especially the ones I wanted to see in this entry from November.

Star Trek: Insurrection

90

For pure fun, great effects, episode-like story, this was wonderful. Not so much acting, and a few story-logic problems.

Star Trek: Generations

87

Fine first outing for the Next Generation crew; Data is funny.

Oliver!

87

One excellent song after another. Comedy and tragedy and atmosphere!

E.T.

92

Ageless, timeless, and touching. Drew Barrymore really is a treat. It’s too bad the girls were scared by it when they were young.

My Fair Lady

89

Such clever lyrics. A fine message about language. If only Eliza had found a man good enough for her. . I hadn’t noticed the similarities in goals between Higgins and Eliza’s dad before!

I Am Legend

78

I quite liked it. I need to read the original now. And probably see the Vincent Price version. In any case the way Smith’s character behaved was very believable. Not a great movie, but worth seeing with surround sound and a big screen.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

81

Another well-written mystery. They followed the formula they created in the first movie, and it worked. Fun! We will own it.

Eragon

71

A fun, if fluffy, fantasy. The dragon was very nicely done. Jeremy Irons added some meat to the otherwise ordinary performances. I really liked the costuming/effects of the deathly hunters used by the Shade. Worth seeing. I hope the sequel is at least as good.

Sweeney Todd

77

I’m having trouble rating this. An intense film, done very well. The cast was perfect for the material. The blood was overwhelming, though, and will likely cause me to never see it again.

The Golden Compass

82

Of course, most of the clever ideas came from the book, but that’s fine, because the film captured them well. Sure, it’s just part 1, but I liked the casting and the story (Hero’s Journey, for sure.)

No comments: