Friday, January 11, 2008

"Building"

This weekend -- I think I'll be putting together furniture. Well, not chairs and sofas, but shelving units purchased mail-order. These things always take longer than I think they should, but if I successfully assemble them, without gluing some piece in the wrong place, it will be another satisfying job-well-done.

I wonder what sorts of "tools" people who design this furniture use? Some sort of CAD, I bet. And do they first start with the design of the finished unit and figure out how to break it down into its constituent parts, or do they have a set of template pieces they use, slap them together in their computer, and then add the necessary facades and flourishes?

Sounds like something that would be on the Discovery or History channel or something.

Have great weekends, readers.

No comments: