Thursday, November 29, 2007

The End, and the Approach of the Beginning

Revelation 22: 1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb...

The imagery of Revelation is so vivid. As Advent approaches, the readings in our weekly services often come from this apocalyptic book. I've studied it more than once, and it always seems to have more meaning each time. Tonight, I just felt like reading the final chapter again, to prepare myself for the start of the new church year.

I love Advent, and I like "celebrating" Christmas all through the Advent season. But Advent means something, in part, because of what is promised in John's account of his visionary encounter with God.

Revelation 22: 12 "Behold, I am coming soon!..."

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

Revelation 22: 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.


It's a cycle. The predictability is comforting. The promise is there, whether we believe or not.

No comments: