Thursday, July 5, 2007

Why Public Radio?

Why should I listen to Public Radio more? To get facts I can use!

Today I learned the following:

A caffeinated beverage is not really a dehydrator. It's just slightly less hydrating than water. The researcher said if you drink a liter of water, your body takes 800 ml of it for hydration and lets 200 ml pass through. So, water is 80% hydrating. If you drink a liter of caffeinated beverage such as iced tea or coffee, the body retains 700 ml for hydration; 70%. This is not consistent with the conventional wisdom that tells us that caffeinated beverages are diuretic.

And it means I'm getting as much hydration from my 52 ounces of pop as I'd get from 45.5 ounces of water, which is over 5.5 of my daily required 8 cups of water. I get most of the rest of it in the ice that melts into my pop as I nurse it for hours.

It may not sound appetizing to coffee drinkers (coffee doesn't sound appetizing to me!) but it works for me.

And I learned it from listening to MPR for three minutes.

I guess I'd better consider membership again.

No comments: