Tuesday, May 22, 2007

"Heroes"

The TV show "Heroes" had its season finale last night. I was excited with anticipation. This has been the number one "appointment TV" show for me this year. It made my list for consideration of my top 10 TV shows ever. Twenty three episodes of excellent fiction. It is exceptional among TV shows for the complexity of the characters, the tightness of the stories, the unexpected perfection of the plot twists, and the respect for the intelligence of the viewers.

There were several directions the finale could have taken. I will not spoil anything for those who have not yet seen it, but I am completely satisfied with what the creative team did. "Completely satisfied" might sound like faint praise, but it is not. There were many details in the episode which could have been left out, but if they had been, I would not have been satisfied. I still would have enjoyed the show, and the season, far more than I would for most any other series. But the creative team took every right step, tied up just the right loose ends, left the right possibilities open for the future -- in short, this was a fantastic end to a great season.

I look forward to season 2 the way I look forward to tender grilled steak with a hot fudge sundae for dessert.

No comments: