Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief - Album 10 of 10

Album Title: Matching Tie and Handkerchief
Artist: Monty Python

Album 10 of 10 in the 10 Album Challenge

Thoughts

Oh there were several other candidates for this final spot on the list of "10 Albums which Influenced My Musical Tastes."  But Monty Python won out.  Why?  In part because ...

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

[Well, something like that, anyway!]


One of the attributes of Monty Python's comedic brilliance was its ("their?") comedic use of, and creation of, music.  I own Monty Python multiple albums, which is more than I can say for any other comedian or comic group.  While I do not own them solely because of their music, I do love being able to hum, whistle and/or sing the funny songs this group created.

Now, the other two albums I've shown here, also in my collection, have some real treats: "Money Song," "Eric the Half-a-Bee," and "Spam" are on these two.  Had I still been 14, I would have been forced to select Monty Python's Previous Record, if only for the six-breasted fairy on the cover.

But Matching Tie and Handkerchief has three things going for it which vaulted it above the others:
  1. It has a very memorable name, which matches its cover art.
  2. It is a "three-sided" record! (Three tracks; one on one side of the album and two on the other side, making it hard to find the second [or third] track if you were looking for it.)
  3. It has "Bruces' Song!"  A song about philosophers being drunk.  It's hilarious!  Until "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" (from The Life of Brian) this was the MP song that most frequently popped into my head.  (And now it's in a three way tie with "Always ..." and "The Galaxy - Lighten Up" [Monty Python's The Meaning of Life] for that honor.)
Seriously (or humorously) a part of my musical taste -- the eclectic, sticky, messy, jumbled web that it is -- is filled with the irreverent, bold, clever, absurd comedy created by the Pythons.

----
I'm putting a link to Bruces' Song here, because if you haven't heard it, this link takes you to a "lyric video."  It's not as funny as watching the Pythons perform it at the end of the "Bruces" sketch, but you can catch the lyrics this way. Besides, I'm not sure there's a legal, public version of that sketch.  I hope so, but a cursory look didn't unearth it for me.





No comments: