Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Review - Captain's Fury - Jim Butcher

Title: Captain's Fury
Author: Jim Butcher

While I said, in the review of the third book in the "Codex Alera" series, that it was the best of the lot so far, you should in no way take that to mean that this, the fourth book, is to be ignored.  Oh, no.  Keep reading.  This is still plenty good!

Book four gives Amara a very difficult task, and Butcher's writing keeps you hanging on every part of her journey.  And she's not even the key figure in the story!

Again, that position belongs to Tavi, who is now in charge of a Legion of soldiers.  While he has been successful, others are jealous, and they intend to use their positions and their Furyborn power to take what they can.  Meanwhile, as always, Tavi has seen the next threat to the Empire, and must seek to neutralize it.

By the time you read book four, you will have seen the heroes make tactical alliances with "bad guys" already, and this theme continues.  And, by this time, you will probably be impressed with the ways the author can find of putting his heroes in seemingly hopeless situations, only to have them emerge, if not victories, at least alive, if somewhat damaged.

The only "negative" I can write about this book is that the ending did not drive me to pick up the next book immediately.  Books two and three almost demanded me to start the next story -- not because the story was incomplete, but because I simply had to see what would happen next.  I have not yet read book five simply because Butcher "let me off the hook" with the end of this novel.  Oh, I'll go back.  I have to.  At this point, it seems to me that Butcher has a plan, and there might actually be an ending to this books-long story.  I want to see what that end is.  I think you will, too.

No comments: