Monday, November 26, 2012

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 91







Leah and I had a marathon of the X-Men movies.


The Illusionist
84
Mysterious.  Loved the main character.  Jessica Biel can act!  Sepia visuals were stunning, and set just the right atmosphere.
X-Men
92
88
OK, Batman was darker, and more stylized.  But I can't say it was better.  Certainly this was more true to the characters.  It whets my appetite for more.  Oh, and I was wrong: Hugh Jackman and Wolverine were the center of the movie for good reason.
X-Men 2: X-Men United (aka X2)
90
What a fun, intense story!  We get Nightcrawler!  We give Phoenix a reason to arise.  We get some of Logan’s mysterious past, but not all of it.  And we see just how dangerous mutants can really be.  Loved it.
X-Men 3: The Last Stand
85
Excellent movie for traditional comic book story and action.  Characters sometimes acted out-of-character, though.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
88
Very fun, and since I didn’t know most of the story ahead of time, I got to be surprised.  “The best X-Men movie?”  Not quite.  But very good.
X-Men: First Class
82
86
A worthy entry in the genre. I liked the Xavier/Lehnsherr relationship.  Kevin Bacon made a good villain.  Mystique as a teenager – loved it.  Consistency with the comics must be sacrificed.  A couple of cameos made me smile – even laugh! 
Rating: Remember this – I am “easy” when it comes to the X-Men.  Always will be.
Amazing Spiderman
68
73
Hey, this is pretty good.  I know Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are NOT teenagers, but in a couple of scenes they could be.  Garfield sold the “I am a teenager with super powers” early Spidey.  I’m forgiving some of the plot holes because I liked the ending.  And I’ve upgraded the rating after a re-viewing because the two leads are so much better than their predecessors.  If only they could have had the Green Goblin story from Spiderman.

No comments: