Monday, July 23, 2012

Movie Micro-Reviews - Edition 88




John Carter
53
Worth seeing. Not exactly a gripping movie, but they got some things “right.”  Dejah Thoris was strong and beautiful.  The Burroughs framing story was nice. All-in-all, OK.  The title should have had “Mars” somewhere, though.
Contagion
57
Many good actors, and a disturbingly possible “disaster” plot, but no single story had enough time to get me very invested in it.
Super 8
77
Fun ride. Kids acted like kids – and Elle Fanning is excellent -- again. Scares, thrills, effects.  Will I own it?  Maybe.  Sure enjoyed it.
Big Fish
90
I like this movie more every time I see it.  What a Tale!  Finney and McGregor were wonderful as a larger-than-life man.  Fantasy and family.  Loved it.  Clever and funny and fun – and I suspect there are some men who are very much like this – or I hope there are.
Dark Knight Rises (The)
87
An excellent wrap-up to this arc in the Batman mythos.  I could quibble about a few things – mostly technical filmmaking – but why?  It gave Bruce/Batman enough to do, it introduced some really good characters (yes, I love Anne Hathaway’s Catwoman) and it had enough satisfying surprises.

No comments: