Monday, July 9, 2012

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 87



Sherlock Holmes
80
I think almost anyone who likes movies would like this one.  It’s not extraordinary, but it’s fun.  Forget what you know of the original Holmes and you can enjoy this for what it is: an action film with some deduction.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
90
Mystery, deduction, action, suspense, and one of the greatest villains ever written.  Better than the first, and worth seeing many times.
Planet of the Apes (2001)
35
Sadly, I thought I was buying the James Franco movie.  It was this one.  It starts out passable, moves to stupid, and finishes awful.
Real Steel
55
You know what – this movie is pretty much exactly what you would expect, but it still pays off emotionally enough to be recommendable. 
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
80
Action! Cool spy ideas. More action! Twists! More action! Stunts like you’ve never seen, and, yes, action!
Amazing Spiderman
68
Hey, this is pretty good.  I know Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are NOT teenagers, but in a couple of scenes they could be.  Garfield sold the “I am a teenager with super powers” early Spidey.  I’m forgiving some of the plot holes because I liked the ending.
Brave
79
Excellent!  Strong female characters, funny and visually excellent.  And the music!
Midnight in Paris
77
If you thought about hearing Woody Allen’s words coming out of Owen Wilson’s mouth, would you expect much?  I didn’t.  I was wrong.  If you found out a movie was by Woody Allen, would you expect a fantasy element?  I didn’t.  I was wrong.  Nice suprises.
Moneyball
71
This is a recommendable movie, unless you hate sports (you don’t have to like them to enjoy this) or unless you have too short an attention span.  Good story; better because of its connection to the real world of pro baseball.  But the director assumed too much knowledge in the audience, and it took a while to catch up.

No comments: