Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 75






Captain America
86
Congratulations!  They made a Captain America without the camp, the jingoism, the schmaltz that could have killed it.  Good story, good action, and leads well into The Avengers. (I cannot wait!)
Star Trek
90
A thrill-ride.  By the time we were 30 minutes in, I was already convinced I want to see more of this cast in these characters.  Yes, it’s a re-visioning of the characters.  But it fits.  It’s great fun! [And it might be the movie that pushes me to buy Blu-Ray.  It just might!]
Armageddon
88
Forget the science.  Just forget it.  Now, it was a fun “disaster & heroes” story.  Action and comedy and pathos.  And, darn it, I always get emotional.  “I’d like to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I ever knew.” I happily rate this higher than the public in general.

[And how in the world did I not micro-review this before now?  Even my DVD list says I haven’t watched it since 2005!]
Perfect Stranger
73
This was a nice mystery/drama/suspense story.   They built the plot well, and the characters made sense in it.

Saw this years ago.  Forgot most of the key twists, so it was new again.

First reviewed in Edition 6.
True Grit
62
Wish I could have understood more of Jeff Bridge’s dialog.  Still, I liked all the performances.  Just not as thrilled with the story. Too gritty for me? Truth in advertising, at least.
Cowboys and Aliens
71
Suspend disbelief and enjoy the ride. Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford play against type and it really worked for me. Fun, entertaining = summer movie.

No comments: