Monday, August 29, 2011

Looking Forward

Ross WavesRoss is great at conversation.  He can sit there quietly and listen for a while, but when he engages in the discussion, it always gets more interesting.

And he has great "conversation starter" openings.  Yesterday, he asked me this:

"So, Steve, what are you looking forward to?"

Notice, it's not "How's work going?"  It's not "How have things been?" This is nothing against most of us who start with these sorts of questions -- you have to start somewhere, and most of us know how to respond to the typical.  But Ross, he starts with a question that makes you think.

So, hmmm, exactly what AM I looking forward to?

Great question.

My response was "I know a person shouldn't live his life this way, but honestly, I'm trying not to 'look forward' much right now."  His facial expression showed I needed to give him more.

"In just about a week, Leah will be back in New York, and Sherry will be up at school, and I will be alone in this house again.  If I look forward, I see that looming over me.  And though eventually last year I got used to being alone, and I found fun things to do, I wouldn't say I'm 'looking forward to it.'  Right now, I really like having the kids and Sherry here.  I like spending time with my wife."

Adam made some sarcastic comment about how lame that was.  We all laughed.

No need to pull out the little violins and make it seem as if my life will be tragic.  I know it won't.  But for the next few days, I am living in the "now" and enjoying every moment I can get with Leah and Sherry.

Pier 39 - Leah & Sherry at Sock Market

No comments: