Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Betrayed

We started playing Dragon Age: Origins this month.  It's pretty much the only game I think about these days.  Good game.

Well, in DA:O, my main character has been joined by several other characters.  Each time I set out on a quest, I gather three of them and we perform acts of heroism.  And we pilfer.  In this sort of game, it's standard practice to get money and equipment from the creatures you beat.  But, you also encounter chests with stuff in them.  And some of them are locked.  So you need someone who can pick locks.  Someone who is a thief.

Someone like Zevran.


Zevran joined my little band early on after he and a group of lesser assassins tried to kill me.  For fun and profit.  Mostly for profit.  Since I had beaten him, he was under a virtual death sentence -- a failing assassin can run, but if he's found, the other assassins will assassinate him.  It's what they do.  So, when he offered to change allegiances and join me, I agreed.

For many hours of game play, Zevran was an annoyingly crude thief, but he was a thief.  He opened chests.  I got him equipment to help him survive, and to be helpful in a battle.  In return, he opened chests.

A couple of days ago, he betrayed me.  We were ambushed by more assassins, but rather than stick to his word, he joined them in attacking me and the rest of the party.  We died.

Oh, but Zevran cannot beat the power of the re-load.  I had saved the game state just before we were ambushed ("You never know when you might wander into a dragon's lair.  Save often.")  So I reloaded.

And after I reloaded, I took every stitch of equipment from Zevran, save one small dagger.

Then we headed into the ambush again.

Zevran looked pretty silly standing there in his g-string, betraying me again.

I wiped the silly smirk off his near-naked face.

Stupid assassins.

No comments: