Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Thanks to the Gleeks


I hereby thank all of you Gleeks (Glee fans) out there.

Why?

Because I love this show, but it does not fit into my viewing schedule (and besides, I'm not a Nielsen home, or whatever is used to determine ratings these days) so I count on being able to watch it on DVD later.

The Gleeks have kept it so popular that Fox released Season 2, part 1 already, and Netflix has it, so we've been able to watch it. A whole lot. This past weekend. And while it means many things, it certainly means I got to see ,,,

Yes, the Rocky Horror Glee show. Finally.

I wondered how they would deal with the risque nature of the show, given the plot elements in Season One around other suggestive numbers.

Then again, Glee doesn't exactly spend a lot of its energy on plot consistency, so they could have blown it off again.

They didn't. I liked the way they handled it. And good thing, too. They had me worried that they wouldn't sing "Time Warp."

Anyway, the best part of Season Two, so far, is the long arc around Kurt. We've only seen eight episodes, but this is clearly the backbone of the season to this point, and I am fully engaged. Glee is great about having lots of silliness, but enough serious situations to make us care, to make us remember what things were really like in high school, and it gives us plenty of reasons to identify with these young people who find ways to express themselves through song and dance. But ultimately, there just aren't as many of us who can identify with Rachel as a self-centered diva, and far more who can identify with overweight Mercedes, always worried Finn, and tormented by bullies Kurt.

So, thank you Marion & Dad & Mom and any of the rest of you who continue to watch this fun, fantastic, emotionally satisfying show, so that we can continue to see it a little later.

Commercial free.

No comments: