Monday, July 19, 2010

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 55

Just saw Inception over the weekend. Wow. I could write a lot about it, but I don't want to spoil things. Anyway, here's the latest micro-review list.

Independence Day

87

Fantastic blockbuster FX film, with real heroes, tension, laughs. Faulty science drops it below 90, for me.

[Can’t believe I never posted this one before. We watch it almost one a year. OK, it was silly in a lot of ways, but it hits me just right.]

Sunshine

65

Every once in a while, a sci-fi movies gets made and I miss it completely. This was one. Not great, but worth seeing if you’re a fan of the genre.

G-Force

48

A kids movie, with enough action to make it tolerable. Predictable. Just a couple of chuckles.

Esther (The Bible: Esther)

55

Pretty faithful to the book, and yet still pretty dramatic, too. Hard to do with scriptural movies. Good actors helped. (F Murray Abraham and Jurgen Prochnow) Louise Lombard was a very believable Esther. Still, it’s hard to recommend except outside of those interested in the Bible already.

Shutter Island

75

Really set the mood well, and was quite mysterious. The problem may have been that my expectations were too high. I liked the ending though.

Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (The)

78

Extremely imaginative and wildly designed. The story was “fantastic” in the right ways. Really liked Lily Cole. Strange enough I can’t recommend to everyone, but if you can take strange you will like it.

Young Elizabeth (The)

71

I did not know this story, and it was told well. And it was a good love story, too.

Inception

93

Complex, mystifying, excellent. I expect I will see it several more times. Will I change my mind about the end? Depends on how much I think Nolan cares about Point of View…

Wizard of Oz (The)

95

How do you rate a classic?

Now, after The Writer’s Journey and Wicked, I have even more appreciation for this film.

No comments: