Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Inferring

I love Peanuts. I have enjoyed Charlie Brown and his friends for as long as I can remember. So, in my daily comics, I still include that strip. (I get it from comics.com, by the way.) Today's strip makes me laugh!

So, here it is. I hope it's "fair use." It's not very readable this way, so please click to get the full impact.



We love Sally sometimes because she is naive, and sometimes because she's suspicious.

Anyway, once I laughed, I also recognized that in today's climate, it would have been read differently. Charles M Schulz was decidedly non-political in his strip. But had it been written and published for the first time in April 2010, I bet people would have taken it politically. They would have inferred something that is simply not there.

And that makes me sigh. But it's still funny.

No comments: