Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sailing

Ever wonder what it would take to sail, solo, around the world?

Two young women (teenagers) are currently on solo sails. I find their stories fascinating.

I first ran across Abby Sunderland's blog. She's very personable, and sounds just like a nice teenage girl (who knows a whole lot about sailing!) when she writes. She has a website, too. From there you can track her progress. She started sailing on January 23, then re-started her round-the-world attempt from Cabo San Lucas on February 6.

Later, I came across the same sort of sites for Jessica Watson, about whom I had read news articles before she started her journey on October 17, 2009. She is amazingly close to her goal.

Fascinating. I would never want to do this, but I am intrigued by the attempts.

No comments: