Thursday, March 11, 2010

Review - A Practical Handbook for the Actor

Title: A Practical Handbook for the Actor
Author: Bruder, Cohn, Olnek, Pollack, Previto, Zigler

When was the last time I read a textbook?

As some of you know, my daughter Leah is attending New York University. She's in the Tisch School of the Arts, specifically part of the Atlantic Theater studio.

When she received her books before classes began, she read this book, and told me I should read it if I wanted to know what she'd be learning. Of course, she had to take it with her to school, since it is a core book for the acting training at the Atlantic.

Well, after her first semester, when she was home for Christmas, she handed it to me again and recommended it.

I just finished it, and I'm very glad I took her recommendation. OK, so I haven't acted in decades, and I may never do it again, but at least now I understand the approach she will take when preparing for a role.

The approach described in this book is very analytical, and at the same time very personal and human. It also convinces me that it just might be possible for someone to become an actor without going somewhat crazy. I doubt I could ever do the rote learning of lines required of an actor or actress, but at least I could picture myself analyzing a scene to determine:
  1. What is the character literally doing?
  2. What is the essential action?
  3. What is the action like to me?
The authors use examples from plays I've seen or read (Hamlet, and A Streetcar Named Desire for example) which really help illustrate to me how an actor can use this analysis technique to approach a scene and give a good performance, without trying to become the character or forcing themselves into a specific emotion.

I'll still be impressed when I see Leah -- or anyone else -- do a good job, because it's clear that the preparation is hard work. But now I will at least understand at a basic level how they got there.

And then I can just sit back and enjoy the play.

No comments: