Thursday, February 18, 2010

Heroes vs. Villains - Survivor style

Let's talk Survivor.

In the beginning, before it ever aired, I heard about a show called Survivor. I immediately disliked the idea. Clearly, the people on the show were going to have to lie, cheat and steal to win. I didn't like the concept, and didn't like the idea of watching people do those things to each other. Plus, these were going to be "real people."

I have a personality trait: I get uncomfortable watching "real people" in conflict on TV. Really uncomfortable. Put a "real person" on a live TV (or radio show) and have them asked questions by a professional, my stomach will tighten up, and then start to churn if I keep watching it.

I could not imagine that Survivor would be my cup of tea.

So I didn't watch the first season. Or the second. But my family did.

So after a while, I started watching. And I've been hooked ever since.

Somehow, these "real people" became characters, not people. The producers and directors built storylines and made some of the cast into heroes, and some into villains. So, even though these people started out as "real" they turned into professionals or actors or something.

And now, 20 seasons into the show, I was faced with another strange situation. Here CBS was going to give me the best "Heroes" from survivor against the best "Villains."

For some reason, I thought I wouldn't like it.

I was wrong. I've seen the opening double episode, and I am hooked. They played me very well. They reminded me why I liked the Heroes, why I disliked the Villains (though honestly, Boston Rob has a special place in my heart) and how much fun a "Good vs. Evil" show can be.

What was I thinking? Rupert? J.T.? James? Amanda? Colby? Boston Rob? Jerri? Yes, even Russell. (Though I promise you, I will be hissing and booing inside each time Randy or Tyson are on screen.)

I'll be watching!

No comments: