Monday, September 21, 2009

Technology Bites Me


So last night we tried to watch this excellent movie, which I purchased mere days ago, and what happens?

The movie tells me that my Blu-Ray player needs an update before it can play the movie.

Grumble, grumble. I looked around the 'net for a bit, but we decided to watch something else instead and figure this "update the player" business later.

So, we watched the other movie [Defiance - which coincidentally also has Liev Schreiber portraying a somewhat wilder brother to a somewhat wild hero] and I tried to fix the problem after that.

After struggles with my cable modem, and trying to read the size-5-font instructions, I created an update disk for my Pioneer BDP-51FD exactly as described. I loaded the fix, exactly as described. And what happened?

I got exactly the same error!

So I can't watch the second Blu-Ray movie I've ever owned on this brand new Blu-Ray player.

Even if Pioneer is able to help me through this frustrating event (I've ordered an update disk directly from them and sent an e-mail to their support folks) what are the chances this will be my last problem with the player?

Shoot, when Blu-Ray won the battle over HD-DVD, I thought the technology was consumer-ready. I guess it's not yet.

[But once I get this fixed, I will watch Wolverine and Sabretooth in all their hi-def glory, and I will be mollified. {Yes, it's a word. You can look it up.}]

1 comment:

Lucas Will said...

This is one of the reasons I felt good about getting the PS3 last year for Blu-Ray purposes. I hope yours gets taken care of.