Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Problem with Empathy (or Open-Mindedness)


Imagine for a moment that you are asked to settle a dispute. There are two parties who have opposing views. They each present their arguments, and then it is up to you to make a decision.

Is it better to have empathy and open-mindedness if you are in this situation?

Apparently I will never know if it's better or worse, because I always seem to try to take the empathy & open-minded path. [Or maybe I just don't recognize when I'm not empathetic and my mind is closed....]

I have a feeling that, if I were less empathetic, I could make the decision more quickly, because I really wouldn't be interested in the feelings of the person who "lost."

Similarly, I am quite convinced that if I had a less open mind, one side of many disputes would clearly be right, and the other clearly wrong. This would make decisions easier, and quicker.

I tend to work for consensus in these situations because I want to help both people understand the merits and feelings of the other side, and I would prefer that they participate in the decision. Yet, that approach fails -- too often -- and the decision must be mine.

In the end, I hope that my approach is respected, at least, since the decision itself cannot be approved by the losing side.

But if I could just stop empathizing after the decision, at least I wouldn't feel bad for as long.




.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*
[Image from mrbill on Flickr.]

No comments: