Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Civilization 4 - We Begin


Last week, we made a point to go to Best Buy over lunch (typically, a very frequent activity -- quite infrequent when I'm not eating out.) For months, I've been waiting for Civilization 4 (Gold Edition) to reach the $29.99 price point.

Lo and behold, Shawn picked up the box and there it was -- the price I'd been waiting for.

Shawn handed it to me. There was only the one copy in the store. Shawn doesn't own it either. But, true to the Dude Code[1], he handed it to me.

I had to buy it.

Over the weekend, I installed it and started a game. Yep, I'm hooked again. This is a very pretty Civilization. It's much more intricate in its design. It adds several facets to governments, it adds real world religions, it has a more complex set of advancements. It will take me a very long time to explore the options and establish a pattern (a base strategy I use to approach most instances of the game.) Once a pattern emerges, there appear to be plenty of options for varying the games -- new map options, plenty of difficulty settings, etc.

It took a long time for me to finally buy it, but I've done it, and I'm hooked now.

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

[1]The Dude Code is not as selfless as one might infer from the context. The Dude Code requires that Dudes tempt other Dudes to spend money.

No comments: