Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Jimmy Jam's is Closing

Sad.

There is really only one store for gamers in Rochester: Jimmy Jam's. It's closing.

Of course, this is predictable. Rochester has had a string of failed gaming stores over the years. When I was in high school, the closest store for gamers was in Rochester. I think it was called Tin Soldier or Toy Soldier or something. Mike told me about it, I think. Got miniatures there. But by the time I moved here in 1985, it was gone.

Every so often, someone thinks they can make another one work. It lasts a while and then, poof. It's a tough market, because gamers know we can buy the very same products for less on-line. But then we lose our place to hang out, to talk geeky with other gamers, to spend time browsing.

That's why, if I ever became independently wealthy, I'd start a game store. It would lose money, but it would provide a home for people who are even more into gaming than I am. Rochester just doesn't seem to be big enough to support one profitably.

I bought a few dice and Magic packs and Munchkin 4 at a reduced price. I will probably buy a graphic novel or something before the end. Just as part of the mourning process.

And then it will be gone.

No comments: