Friday, April 25, 2008

Influences

As I re-read one of my recent snippets, it occurred to me that I was unintentionally creating a plot point similar to a movie I like. It was, of course, unconscious, but it started me thinking about whether the story I was writing was derivative -- and whether I should consciously work to avoid parallels.

I'm still wondering. But...

I have begun to read "The Writer's Journey" by Chris Vogler -- (Thanks Mike!) I am only a chapter or two into it, but already I'm seeing that what seems "natural" in the development of a story might well be "natural" because it fits the pattern inherent in certain parts of a "hero's journey."

In one of the forwards (this is the third edition, so I think there are two forwards, or prefaces, or whatever) Vogler points out that some writers prefer not to know the pattern/model/form represented in his book. These writers think that by exposing their minds to it, they will too easily become predictable. I guess I've been one of those writers, in a sense. I've shied away from learning about writing, because if/when I ever write, I don't want to be derivative or have some proscribed method dictate my prose.

Yet Vogler makes a good point -- even those who want to try to write unconventional stories are well served by understanding the conventions. And, in the first 20 pages or so, I can already appreciate that argument. Yes, I will be changed forever, as a writer and a reader (and a viewer) but I think my creativity can still find expression, and I will likely be able to analyze what help my story needs by applying the principles Vogler lays out.

I still don't know if Paulo will get in Angela's way or not. But if he does, it won't be because it's the same thing Palmer did to Eleanor in "Contact" -- it will be because that's one of the steps in the journey. Shoot, I have to decide, in fact, if Angela will be a "hero" at all, or if Ben serves that role alone.

My journey has begun.

No comments: