Friday, September 14, 2007

No Doubt - Reevaluate

Suppose I set a goal for myself. "By October 15, 2007, I will XXXX."

As October 15 approaches, it may begin to look like accomplishing XXXX by that date will be difficult.

What should I do?

If all I do is "doubt" -- if I just say "Well, it doesn't look good. I doubt I'll make it." -- then my attitude is wrong, and I've likely lost any chance to accomplish the goal.

But, if instead I reevaluate, one of a few things can happen. I can see that, yes, it will be hard, but if I do A, B & C, I can still do it. Or, I can decide that it's not possible or not worth the steps I'd take. Maybe I move the date. Maybe I decide against XXXX altogether.

If I "doubt" then I am almost assured the goal will not be achieved, and I will perceive it as a failure. I will have shown a lack of confidence in myself, and I will have reinforced it by failing.

If I "reevaluate" then I am showing confidence that I can make a better decision now that more facts are known. I can choose rather than accept the result. Even if XXXX does not get accomplished, or gets accomplished later, I have exhibited confidence and reinforced that confidence.

To the cynical, this may sound like semantics. It may sound like I'm just justifying my failure. I disagree. Attitude not only affects outcomes, it sometimes effects outcomes. Additionally, the way we feel about a goal which has been achieved or not achieved can be as important as the goal itself, for that confidence we show in ourselves and our decision making ability will influence our future actions.

So, on this beautiful Friday, I encourage you not to doubt, but to reevaluate. You can do it.

No comments: