Thursday, August 23, 2007

"She's Leaving Home"

I delivered Sarah back to college today. The trip went well. She was well-packed, the minivan had lots of spare room. Her room is up a few short flights of stairs, but everything was easily managed.

She's very excited to be back at school. Her friends will be surrounding her again. Her boyfriend, in particular. She had a good summer, worked with some good people, earned some money, and spent some time with us. But she's ready to be back. She has a great smile, and it was quite evident today.

I'm happy for her, of course. I remember how great college was. I can tell she's thriving.

But I will miss her, once more. Thankfully, the baby bird likes flying back to her nest now and again.

The Beatles' song is much more melancholy than our situation. The daughter in that song might never return. Sarah will always stay in touch.

There should be a song about this feeling. If you know of one, tell me about it.

Until then, my soul will sing it, and I'll try to listen closely enough to bring it out someday.

1 comment:

Michael Hacker said...

Ah, pain that is at once sad yet positive. How have your dreams been lately?

I've had some wild ones, having adopted Molly.