Thursday, May 17, 2007

Happy Syttende Mai!

Today is "Syttende Mai."

Translation: "The 17th of May."

Meaning: "Norway's Independence Day"[5]

As a person of Norwegian heritage, I recognize this day as another chance to celebrate. OK, I don't throw a big party [1] but we can all use reminders of freedom and the benefits it brings. And, though I'm biased, I really like the costumes and food associated with the Norwegian people, so giving me another day to think about and experience them is a good thing.

As we might expect in these days of the Internet, there is even a website devoted to the holiday.[2]

Oh, and if I recall correctly, it's the day after Cousin Knut's birthday! Knut is one of our Norwegian relatives, and I hope we can see him again sometime soon. He is truly one of the nice people in the world.

My Syttende Mai celebration will include going to a track meet and watching Leah run the 300m hurdles. The sky is blue, the air is almost calm, the temperature is in the mid-60s - it's hard to get better weather for a track meet.

Happy Syttende Mai, everyone.[3]

[1] Though that's an excellent idea for the future. I'll have to remember it!
[2] There are quite a few, but this little site has the perfect domain name.
[3] Yes, even you Swedes![4]
[4] That was a joke, of course.
[5] Mike tells me that this is really "Norwegian Constitution Day." Ah, well, the way I see it is this: we celebrate July 4, the Norwegians celebrate 17 Mai. To me, that means the holidays are more nearly the same than 17 Mai is to the anniversary of the signing of the US Constitution. Anyone know when that is?

2 comments:

Michael Hacker said...

Steve is also smiling because he's thin, thin, thin!!! 40 pounds thinner at least since five birthdays ago!

--Mike

Michael Hacker said...

Okay, comment no. 2 :)
I'm Danish and before 17 May, 1814, it used to be Denmark-Norway. Curses on Napoleon for losing at Waterloo! Well, that's all water over the dam. Butter cookies or lefse, it makes little difference now. We're all Vikings in the end. :)