Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Eclectic Tastes

Eclectic: Here's the definition.

Example: I went to Best Buy over lunch today and bought the following CDs:
ABBA's drummer died this week, so that got me to thinking about the ABBA songs I wish I owned. Once "Mama Mia" comes out in theaters, I'll probably want that soundtrack. But for $7.99, getting the eleven selections on this CD will serve me well.

So that's what sent me into the CD racks.

I've been wanting "Worship" since I bought "Worship Again" and fell in love with it. So inspiring! And Smith is such a personal performer. I hope I see him in concert someday.

While I was walking around, I noticed the Sinatra section. Long-time readers of my blog will know that I purchased a James Darren CD called "This One's From the Heart." Well, when Shawn heard some of that music, he didn't recognize Darren (not hard to believe) and thought it was Sinatra. "Hmmmm," said I, "That sounds like a reason to buy some of his stuff someday." I always thought of Sinatra as old-fashioned, but as I've aged I've realized that good music is good music, no matter how old it is. So, now I own some Sinatra. I expect I'll have to own at least one more CD (or mp3s from an online source) since I don't have "New York, New York" or "My Way" on this CD.

Before I started writing this entry, I always thought of "eclectic" as meaning "varied; wide-ranging" when applied to tastes. But the definition to which I linked (and several others, now that I look for it) specifically points out that "eclectic" implies that the person selects from the best of many sources.

And now, I think "eclectic" fits even better. My reading habits might not be very eclectic [1] but my musical tastes definitely are.

I will enjoy some music this afternoon!



[1]I am inspired to reconsider my reading selection. A couple of years ago I decided to buy some classics, and reading them was quite worthwhile, except for "Dracula."

No comments: